BikeVON is a 501 (C)(3) non-profit organization created and operated by Yvonne Rucker who is a dedicated cyclist in Metro Detroit area. It was created for the youth of color in the Metro Detroit area to increase cycling awareness, accessibility and affordability while teaching them the core values of Diversity, Inclusion, and a Healthy Lifestyle and Community Service to support their health and emotional issues facing under-active children of today.
Educate, Advocate, and Motivate Through Cycling !
BikeVON envisions competitive cycling teams (velodrome, cyclecross rode and BMX) comprised of youth of color as well as bike share facilities at Metro Detroit community centers.
- Respect the benefits of a healthy, nutritious and active life style.
- Aline with the intent and focus of the League of American Bicyclist’s Equity Initiative, which seeks “to cultivate effective local partnerships to advance inclusion and, ultimately, equity in the bike movement.”
- Activity uncovering opportunities of college scholarship in elite cycling.
- equity in the bike movement.” (League American Bicyclist).
- Bicycling as an accessible and affordable means of transportation.
- Creating an awareness of college scholarship opportunities in competitive bicycling.
Teaching the laws and rules of smart cycling while showing communities how to support cycling
Represent the League of American Bicycling’s (LAB) Equity Initiative, which “seeks to engage leaders from traditionally underrepresented demographics and bridge the current gap between diverse communities and bicycle advocates.”
Empower youth of color in the movement to create safer roads, stronger communities, and a bicycle-friendly Detroit.