Who We Are
BikeVON is a 501 (C)(3) non-profit organization created and operated by Yvonne Rucker who is a dedicated cyclist in Metro Detroit area. It was create for the youth of color in the Metro Detroit area to promote:
- Awareness – embracing the culture of competitive bicycling, cycling as a mode of transportation and the nutritional benefits of a healthy life style.
- Affordability –teaching kids to build their own bikes, while learning the importance of recycling, and providing bicycles to youth and community organizations.
- Accessibility – establishing bike sharing at community centers for community rides.
BikeVON is a member of:
- League of American Bicyclist
- League of Michigan Bicyclist
- National Brotherhood of Cyclist
- Tri-County Bike Association
- Skillman Foundation’s Youth Development Initiative
- Wolverine Sports Club
- Team O/2 – Cadieux
- National Black MBA Association
- BikeVON- teaching the laws and rules of smart cycling while showing communities how to support cycling
- BikeVON – to represent the League of American Bicycling’s (LAB) Equity Initiative, which “seeks to engage leaders from traditionally underrepresented demographics and bridge the current gap between diverse communities and bicycle advocates.”
- BikeVON – empowering youth of color in the movement to create safer roads, stronger communities, and a bicycle-friendly Detroit.